Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Reach for something more


Something great happened.

I have been trying to figure out my race schedule for next year. I'm just trying to figure out my A races. You'd think it would be pretty easy. I had some potential races on my schedule.

I threw the list away. I made my decision on my first 70.3 of 2016. I've read race reports. I've gotten feedback from friends. I made my decision. I didn't hesitate. I signed up.

Everyone knows what a big step this is for me. For the past 4 years, every thing was comfortable for me. I knew about how many hours I'd be training. I knew how I'd feel during a race.

Yet here I was. I'm on my way to becoming an Ironman. Even though I've done 70.3's before, signing up for this one felt sort of monumental.

This will be my first Ironman branded 70.3. Registering felt like I was really committing. I signed up and posted the race on Facebook.

I was overwhelmed by the number of people who were really excited for me. As triathletes, we do so much alone. Sometimes it can feel like we're in a bubble.

When I told Liz my decision, she simply said, "I will have you ready."

I had people saying they wanted to ride together.

After masters, my swim coach came over to talk to me about Nationals. He asked me "What now?" I told him about stepping up in distance. He said, "You're going to kill the swim. I'm going to make sure of it."

Then my phone rang. It was Dina. I could tell how excited she was. She said, "You are doing this perfectly, taking the time now to get your daily nutrition where it needs to be. As your training volume increases, we'll talk through the adjustments. By the time your race comes around, you'll be ready."

All of a sudden, I didn't feel like I was in a bubble anymore. I feel like I have an incredible group of people around me.

I've had people come into and out of my life. I've had training partners and racing partners.

But, I don't think I've ever had this much support. I don't think I've ever felt like I have my "crew". Not like this.

I feel like I can accomplish anything.

Come on. You HAD to know I was going to post it.