Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Reconciliation


In my last post, I mentioned that Liz and I had a lengthy discussion about me and my abilities. Well, lengthy for "us". We're both rather succinct-types.

At some point, you've probably heard the expression "Train to your weakness. Race to your strengths."

I fully believe that quote, but I'm not doing it. I'm training and racing to my weakness: running.

Of course, I never intentionally did this. On race day, I'm so focused on trying to the make the run "special" that I'm losing out on the fact that I'm not swimming and biking to the best of my abilities. When I swim or bike "just average", I'll still be 1st or 2nd. But it's not my best effort, and that's not good enough for me. 

One of the things that Liz said to me was, "If you are waiting for something magical to happen on the run. It's probably not going to happen. What you are running, that could be the top of your ability. Your strengths are the swim and bike. There is NOTHING wrong with that. What we are going to do is take the top of your run ability and have you run that for longer and longer distances."  The reality was that I wanted her to say, "You'll get there. Just keep working at it." Instead, she told me what I needed to hear, not what I wanted. I wanted to hear that one day, I'll be able to run a 23 min 5k.

But how many people can swim a 21 min 1500m? Well, I can.

How many people (women in my AG) can hold over 200 watts in a race? Well, I can.

To do this in a race means that I have to be fearless. I have to do my best on the swim and bike and not be concerned about my run. I need to swim and bike without fear of what will happen on the run. I can swim and bike and be ahead of the pack by minutes not just seconds.

To be my best, I really have to Race to my Strengths.