Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I really LOVE the things that you do

I'm behind. I really enjoy reading blogs. I prop up my feet, grab my phone and read, catch up on what my friends are doing around the world.

In my own little world, I've typed up several posts and never published them. Given my frame of mind, that was probably a good idea.

For about a month, I had "relationship" problems. A good friend of mine...and well, I don't go into details but we'd been struggling. It was so frustrating to me. I had pretty much made up my mind to end it.

But it was killing me. So, I typed up an email, and I sent it to myself to read the next morning.

After sending it to myself, my friend Suz said, "Remember the Four Agreements."

I had to stop whatever I was doing. I picked up my little book and read it again.  I realized that some relationships are worth ending.

Some are not.

I stepped back and looked at the friendship as a whole and not as the last month or so.  Then, the next morning, I read the email that I had typed up. I realized that I sounded incredibly childish.

And the issue that set off our problems was my fault. I misunderstood something and took offense to it. Granted, he is not the best at communication. I'd been really busy. He was really busy. We haven't seen each other in awhile. We used to meet for lunch or coffee on a regular basis. It's very easy to confuse sarcasm or just take something the wrong way, over email or text.

I didn't realize how much my entire life was tossed upside down until I realized what I was about to do.

I guess I'm writing about all of this now because I can. I'm not willing to throw out a friendship like that. I need people in my life who will be honest with me and will get my sense of humor and are willing to meet for coffee or lunch or even go for a walk. I don't need a lot of time, but the people (who are just as busy as I am) and who do that for me are keepers.

In honor of all the best friends out there.....