Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Now THAT's how you do it

I ran into a friend, today, at the gym. I haven't seen him since September because I haven't been to the gym since september....shhhh.




After our normal "what have you been up to" chatter, he says, "I turn 50 this year, in May. My wife was asking me what I wanted for my birthday. So, I say 'I want to run 50 miles'. She said 'Well, you'll do that anyway. I want to know what you really want.' "


He went on: I had this idea. Why don't I run 50 miles with friends? I wonder if anyone would do it? I started asking people if they would run parts of the course with me, anything a half mile or 20 miles. Do you know everyone I asked jumped on board to do this. Here's the best part. I'm doing the last 2 miles with Joe* (*not his real name). AND everyone who ran a portion of the 50 miles is going to meet up at mile 48 and finish the last two miles with me and joe. Joe can only go 1 mile per hour, so it will take us 2 hours, but everyone is going to finish with us!


***
Now, this story is pretty amazing. 25 people signed up to run with my friend to find time to run pieces of this birthday run with him. Then, it might occur to you that the last person, Joe, only goes 1 mph.  You might be asking "why does Joe move so slowly"? Joe has no arms or legs. Every day at the gym, he walks on his "stubs" (as he calls them) around the track, every.day. for 1 mile. 1 hour of walking around the gym track. For 1 hour, 6 laps and 1 mile without arms or legs. And this guy, who has no arms or legs and takes an hour to go 1 mile, volunteered to do the last TWO miles with my friend.




During my run, I was in awe. First of all, what a FANTASTIC idea for a birthday present. Second, what an amazing experience this will be having 25 or so friends all walking the last 2 miles for 2 hours, together.


It makes me speechless. 

12 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG, I am in tears, but I am a bit weepy today. What a gift!

I am turning 40 in a couple of weeks, and am running a 40k, a la Momo! I have friends signed up for the course. Then after we are having bacon and pancakes/waffles at my house! I am so excited! It is the perfect party for me!

Check your FB events, you should have gotten an invite! If you want to come run in snowy Ohio vs snowy Colorado!

LBTEPA said...

WOW.

Molly said...

Amazing!!!

Julie said...

I keep typing things and then erasing them....I too am speechless. Amazing.

By the way hopefully a couple of us CO bloggers are going to get together in a few weeks and have coffee or something. Would love to meet you if you are interested drop me a line. I think it well be the 5th or 6th.

MAJ said...

Now THAT is friendship. right there.

R. Jeffrey said...

Thanks for the post, girl!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I love it! Good for him. This definitely makes me thankful that I have all of my limbs, and the next time I start complaining about one of my workouts, I will remember this. :)

Wes said...

some people just RAWK naturally...

Bill said...

Yep, teared up here. Thanks! ;^)

Seriously, that got me. Absolutely awesome.

(and funny that my word verification is - trunr, as in Tea Runner).

Kevin said...

Thats awesome and very inspiring

321delish said...

I love hearing stories like this! It sort of gives you an immediate boost of energy, motivation, trust and faith. I just came across your blog for the first time and love it! Cant wait to keep following :)

Have a great day!

taio said...

interesant