Monday, March 21, 2016

+48 hours after surgery

My recovery updates are getting a little boring. After this one, my next one will be at one week post surgery (Thursday).

A couple of things to note:

1.) Every single day I'm walking further and or faster and continuing my non-weight bearing exercises.  I do unweighted squats, lunges, back lunges, side lunges. I continue with the recovery core exercises. I haven't been comfortable (more or less a mental issue) starting significant core exercises. My recovery is going so smoothly, I'm a little nervous about it. I think I'll wait until I'm at my week mark. One week, was the time frame my surgeon gave me for being active but not doing any Olympic activities.

2.) The tired. Every afternoon, I get tired around 3pm. This is not normal for me, but it IS normal for a few days after surgery. I listen to my body. I lay down, turn on the tv and relax for about 30-40 minutes. At that point, I feel normal again.

3.) My nutrition: filled with leafy greens, protein, nuts, & fruits means that I've gotten over the bloat much faster than anticipated. I'm still swollen, but the bloat is going away. I'm starting to see my stomach muscles again. Seriously, I think the Kombucha has played a HUGE role in this. I never even had it before surgery.

4.) Pain = no pain for awhile now. I have some minor soreness that feels like a bruise (which, of course, I have a beautiful rainbow colored bruise on my abdomen). I only feel the soreness when I'm inactive for awhile and then make a quick twist or something like that. In fact, I no longer roll to my side to get up from laying down. I can sit up without any discomfort.

My follow up exam is March 30th.

I'll post a one week update at the end of this week.

Unrelated to recovery. This surgery was so worth it for me. I can't tell you how happy I am that the lump is gone. It was visible through tight clothing. It was visible through my swimsuit. It was visible through my tri kit. There was always the worry in the back of my mind, "Is it getting bigger? Should I see the doctor?"  That's gone now.