Saturday, October 24, 2015

OSF Update & the Race Weight Myth


I started OSF around the middle of September. Truth be told, I started the end of August. (It didn't occur to me that I was doing it earlier than the middle of Sept).  August was more of an off season or as I prefer "transition season". My pool and back up pool were both closed. I rode my bike maybe twice. I ran every day....if walking the dog counts as running.

During that time, I came off my  transition season. With Coach's recommendation, I hired a nutritionist. I have been working on my run form more than I ever have. I have been strength training 3-4 times per week.

In a very short time, I have seen more improvements than I have never seen. 

Working with Dina (nutritionist), I am now:
1.) Sleeping better than I ever have. (It took a few weeks. It wasn't overnight. #nopunintended #orwasit)
2.) I'm now down 14lbs and so many inches that it seems unreal to me. Several years ago, I was part of a kickstarter campaign. I received two pairs of pants. Sadly, when I got the pants, they didn't fit. They were so tight that I couldn't even pull them up past my thighs. This week, I slipped into them with ease.  Let me stress this....I haven't been this lean in YEARS. I mean, YEARS, not 1 or 2 or 3 but +5 years. I don't even know the last time, I was like this.
3.) No more counting. No counting calories. No counting macro-nutrients. Her plan is so simple. At the beginning, I struggled a little bit. With her guidance, we made 1 change every 1 to 2 weeks. 
4.) No more Hangry.
5.) I have even blood sugar all day long.
6.) I can complete workouts with ease. I'm stronger and faster. (Emphasis on the stronger).
7.) And....the side effect that is unexpected but pretty cool.....getting compliments from my lanemates at masters about how lean I look. I didn't do this for vanity reasons. My confidence doesn't come from how I look. I guess, that's why it surprised me so much. I don't focus on my physical body as far as how it looks, so it didn't occur to me that other people would notice.
8.) I have abs....real abs....Can you believe it? And apparently, I have really great shoulders. 
9.) I never feel deprived.
10). This is something that I can do for a lifetime.


Running
I already updated you on my running. All I want to say is that, running is a natural thing for humans. However, IMHO, running efficiently is not natural. (Yes, some people are natural runners just like some people are really awesome at cycling or running or baseball or or or any other sport. The rest of us have to work on it).  

It's something we have to work on. I'm thrilled with where I am now, but it has taken me months of hardcore focus on running. I didn't just go out there and do a few drills expecting to improve. I've done that. It's gotten me nowhere.

Liz and I worked together. I gave her feedback (from my bike fit). I told her what people say to me at races. She would come back to me with more questions. I would pay attention during my next run and then send her more feedback.

We worked on this together to come up with a plan that worked. She has me doing some of the weirdest shit I've ever done, but it is working. 

Race Weight Myth
This week was my last week of working with Dina until early next year. One of the things I told her is that over the past 2 months, I've learned that race weight is a myth.  

When I signed up with her, all I wanted was the dump the 10 extra pounds I had been carrying around forever. 

I learned that it's not about weight. It's about eating healthy, not depriving yourself and allowing your weight to settle where it needs to be to give you the best performance. You can celebrate during the holidays. You can have those "treats". However, I don't even crave them anymore. I don't even think of having sweets any more. But, if I want it, I have it. 

Here's the thing: If you are eating right, none of that will matter. Your weight will stay where it should be. There isn't that holiday weight gain.

Trust me. I didn't know this at first. We started the plan. I had my "miss" meals. Over the following weeks, I realized that I didn't want the miss meals any more.

I'm saying this because I know where you are. I read articles about what to eat. I know about whole grains, unprocessed foods versus processed. I thought I was doing everything right, but I wasn't losing the fat.

This is all just my opinion. You can disagree. This is what works for me. 

No matter who you are, though. No matter how fast or slow you think you are, you can be better, stronger, faster by getting help with your nutrition. 



****************************************
Tomorrow, I get to put it all together at my Birthday 5k