Friday, February 7, 2014

Brain Off


Last week, I ran a 5k. It was very cold. The course was a sheet of ice in spots and snow packed in others. I've PR'd in conditions like this.I wasn't too worried about the course itself.

I didn't realize that THIS was going to be the day that I had my emotional purge. Right from the start, I was a mess. I couldn't wait to cross the finish line. A 5k has never felt so long.

I knew it was going to happen, but I thought it was going to happen during a long run. Or some other time that I was able to let my mind go and think.

NOPE. It happened on the day of my 5k. I wasn't disappointed because I knew it had to happen some time. So much so that I was sobbing and heaving like a toddler. I'm not kidding. I couldn't get to my car fast enough.

That's what prompted my Ceremony post.

And the chapter closed.

This week, I have another 5k. Although it will be warmer, conditions will be the same. This week my goal is different. Most importantly, it isn't a race effort so to speak. This week, my goal is to regain my mental balance while running. My assignment, from Coach, this week consisted of coming up with new mantras to use during the race. The race which is a long run with a 5K thrown in the middle.

New mantras, new goals, new objectives for my new chapter.