Sunday, December 20, 2009

And they're OFF!! Part Deux

I awoke this morning READY.TO.GO.

It's my long run day. The first of many to come. But first I must eat breakfast.

I head downstairs and notice the chill in the air and radiating up my feet, thru my legs and up my spine.

Well, now, ain't that just fine? It's a wee cold this morning. Since I am De-wimping myself, I need to follow the 7 step process.
First step, wait until it warms up.
Second step, wait until it warms up.

This weekend, I am going to focus on steps 1 & 2.

If I wait until it warms up, I can drink more coffee.

If I wait until it warms up, I can (stealing a look over at the plate) have one of those drippy, gooey, cinnamony, delicious, homemade, cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

STOP. NO YOU ARE NOT.

But they are looking at my with those big round eyes. Look, they're even crying.

Those aren't tears; it's icing. And no, you are not having a cinnamon roll before running.

WELL, until SOMEONE in this giant world of GU AND SPORTS DRINKS AND BLOCKS COMES UP WITH A CINNAMON ROLL FLAVORED GU, IMAGONNA EAT THE CINNAMON ROLL.

Let's just go upstairs to get dressed. We'll figure out breakfast later.

I sneak upstairs to the darkened room. Mr. Tea is sleeping. I grab a slingshot (bra), socks, but then I'm stuck on what to wear.

Y'see, us Irish people do 3 things really well: drink, fight, and stop traffic with our glowing white legs.

I turn to Mr. Tea, who is sleeping, and ask "Should I go with shorts or tights?"

HRUMPFANA, he replies.

Yes, I agree. Shorts is the way to go. Parents! Divert your children's eyes. This is not something they are ready to see!

Now, top. Do I go with the fleece or do I go with the technical shirt that I got at my last race. Any thought, honey?

Snort, smfizzleharufna.

Yes, true. If I wear my marathon top then when people see me they will think, "Ah look at that dedicated marathon runner out doing her long slow run. What a thing of beauty and joy!" If I stick with the fleece, those same people might call 911 when they see me slogging along."

With the tough decisions out of the way, I'm ready to go run 7 miles.

Yes, 7 miles.

All this for 7? Why 7?

Because it's between 6 and 8.

And now, my follow peeps, with my face covered in aquaphor....it is time to go run!