Wednesday, May 13, 2009

rusharusharusharusha....and I don't mean Russia

"For fast-acting relief, try slowing down." ---Lily Tomlin

Is it just me or are people in more of a hurry now than ever before?

Here are few examples of things that happened just today:

I was cut off in traffic by a car cutting in and out trying to get someplace very important, very quickly, and ended up being behind me at the stop light.

A woman nearly knocked me over trying to get to the checkout lane.

At the gym, I could hear someone behind me huffing and puffing to pass me because I was moving too slowly getting to the locker room.

I was in the car with someone who was cussing about traffic being so bad. We didn't have an appointment anywhere. We were simply spending the afternoon together. I guess she was in a hurry to have fun, so she could get back to ????

Wasn't there a quote...something about stopping to smell the roses?

I know none of this is new.

Yesterday a man was in front of me at the store, he was fumbling around, dropping his wallet, having a hard time. He looked back at me and apologized profusely. I told him, "No worries. I'm not in a hurry." At which, he gave me this suspicious smile.

Not in a hurry?

Those people are missing out on the adventure just to get to the finish line faster. Then what? So you finish without being a better person for the trip? The satisfaction of knowing you got the job done only to go onto the next one?


Perhaps I'm just getting old.






5 comments:

Molly said...

I'm with you - everything is so rush rush rush that people miss out on the being along the way. My life is busy but I still try to appreciate all the moments in between!

LBTEPA said...

You are so right

Iron "GeekGirl" Misty said...

It's so addictive, though; and that PEER PRESSURE! I go through phases where I force myself to slow down in my day-to-day, but then gradually, it creeps on me. Hello, I'm Misty, and I'm a rush-a-holic.

Wes said...

We need a new category for you. You are obviously not a pure type "A" :-) Good news is, you'll probably live longer this way.

Bill said...

LOL. So true.

Just like the lady I chastised today, who parked diagonal across not one, but two handicapped spots, then strolled up to the front of the school. Mind you, not a single handicap sticker or placard to be seen. So I asked her politely why she needed to take up two spots, effectively stealing them from those that need them (there are lots here on Fort Campbell). She huffed about me minding my own business and strutted off.

So I mentioned as her overly large carcass waddled along that perhaps a few more feet of walking each day would do her a bit of good.