Wednesday, May 13, 2009

rusharusharusharusha....and I don't mean Russia

"For fast-acting relief, try slowing down." ---Lily Tomlin

Is it just me or are people in more of a hurry now than ever before?

Here are few examples of things that happened just today:

I was cut off in traffic by a car cutting in and out trying to get someplace very important, very quickly, and ended up being behind me at the stop light.

A woman nearly knocked me over trying to get to the checkout lane.

At the gym, I could hear someone behind me huffing and puffing to pass me because I was moving too slowly getting to the locker room.

I was in the car with someone who was cussing about traffic being so bad. We didn't have an appointment anywhere. We were simply spending the afternoon together. I guess she was in a hurry to have fun, so she could get back to ????

Wasn't there a quote...something about stopping to smell the roses?

I know none of this is new.

Yesterday a man was in front of me at the store, he was fumbling around, dropping his wallet, having a hard time. He looked back at me and apologized profusely. I told him, "No worries. I'm not in a hurry." At which, he gave me this suspicious smile.

Not in a hurry?

Those people are missing out on the adventure just to get to the finish line faster. Then what? So you finish without being a better person for the trip? The satisfaction of knowing you got the job done only to go onto the next one?


Perhaps I'm just getting old.