Saturday, June 25, 2016

The changing of the guard


Earlier this week, I had a bit of a flashback.

Two and a half years ago, I went through a really bad time. One of the things that happened was that I lost my best friend. I went through a very dark period for a long time.

In fact if I met you during that time and you're still with me, thank you for that.

This post isn't about loss and how to deal with it.

Earlier this week, something happened and out of nowhere I thought about my old bestie. I took a minute to think about the last 2.5 years. I thought about the amazing things that have happened with the company. I thought about JMan & Googs and what they are doing now. Of course, I thought about training. I thought about our trips and house remodeling. So much has happened in 2.5 years.

Then I thought of my recent race. The week before my race, I realized my old wetsuit was 3 sizes too big. I bought a new one that I only got to wear for about 10 minutes before the race started.

The DAY before Boulder, my very old garmin died. It didn't completely die, but it wasn't reporting power or reading satellites. I raced mostly "blind". I bought a new 920XT and quickly realized that there was no way I could learn about it in time for the race.

It felt so good to replace some of this really old stuff. (I mean, seriously, my wetsuit was so old.....I repaired it numerous times. I remember last year, I put a giant tear in it a couple of days before Nationals. Whether or not I lost weight, it needed to be replaced).

Something got into me. I started digging into my tri-kit crate. I keep all my kits & cycling clothes there. I started throwing out all the old stuff. Kits that no longer fit or kits that are so old......they show more ass than they they cover.

I ordered new tri kits.

I didn't stop there.

I bought a new transition bag.

I bought sunglasses and new running shoes.

Although this was a long overdue physical cleansing, it was emotional too. In a very symbolic way, I felt like I was turning the page.

Since last August, I have changed in many ways. I think I hung on to all that old stuff because I couldn't let go, but it was time.