Saturday, October 16, 2010

Balls Out, Peace Out: A Race Report in 2 Parts

It's only fair that I start this Race Report on Saturday. 


Why? 


Because I like hearing myself talk. When I type, I tend to talk out loud.


After 2.5 weeks of debate and wondering not just *if* I would race but how my ankle would hold up....the decision was made. I woke up Saturday feeling great. No running on Friday. No running on Saturday, some excellent sleep and morning nyum nyum, and I was ready TO BE AVERAGE!


That's right. I am in corral 8. Eight of Sixteen (or maybe slightly more). 50%. 


I hop out of bed in my excitement only to realize that the morning nyum nyum left me with a sprained knee. (just.don't.even.ask.)


Really?  This is REALLY happening?


Some theragesic & 2 naproxen later, I'm feeling better if not still a little jittery on the ole knee. I'm getting more and more anxious for the race.  I feel like I've been pent up for weeks.


That's a good sign.


As I ponder my race strategy, I think "Why not go all out? What's the harm? You've gone all out and crashed. You've gone out too easy and crashed. Admit it, this race usually sucks. If it's gonna suck anyway, why not GO FOR THE GLORY?"


Hmmmm that idea has some merit. 


If my ankle is going to hurt, I'll want to run faster to get off of it.
If I'm going to get tired, I might as well finish faster so I can rest.


In other words, IF IT'S GONNA HURT....WE MIGHT AS WELL MAKE IT REALLY HURT. LET'S GO WAY PAST THE COMFORT ZONE. 


If nothing else, the race report will be more fun to read. 


It's time to get the family's buy in on the plan. Down to the man-cave I go.


HI EVERYONE!


everyone: hi


Me: I have a race tomorrow. Here's my plan. It's BALLS OUT, PEACE OUT day. I'm not carrying any water with me. 6 Gu's for miles 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and one extra in case I drop one or need an extra. So far so good?

everyone: sure.


Me: Ok, No water....that's a big one. But, I don't want to carry it. I want to be stealth. My corral is the 2:15 runners....and let's be serious....that's just not going to happen. BUT, I don't think I'll need it. I've been running in the cooler weather and haven't been drinking as much.


Googs: Oh man....that guy just hit me.


JMan: What? Oh yea. sure sounds good no water. What? 


Me: Last but not least, I haven't decided which train to take. With the budget cuts, they cut the best time. So, I either get there 15 min before I have to be in the corral....plus the .5 mile walk.  OR I arrive 1 hour before I need to be in the corral. Either way sucks. What if I have to go to the bathroom?


JMan: POOOOOOOOP


Mr. Tea: Y'know, I think we should change the advertising.


Me: So, that's it! Any questions?


silence


Me: HELLO?  (I wrinkle up my face and head upstairs to try this again).


I jump down the stairs and yell "HEY GUESS WHAT?!"


Everyone completely startled and staring at me: WHAT?


Me: I have a race tomorrow!


Everyone: Oh cool. Good Luck!


Mr. Tea: I wish I was a stronger person cuz I'd go watch. Y'know I could get breakfast while you're running. But getting up at 4am? Ewwwww, yea. that's just not going to happen. 


Me: Any last minute words of advice?


Mr. Tea: BALLS OUT. It's the only way to go.


JMan: Yea, gotta go BALLS OUT. Peace out. Can I go back to what I was doing?




What have I got to lose? With Mr. Tea, JMan & Goog's huge support behind me, sprained ankle mostly healed, tweaky knee & completely new race strategy, I HAVE to do well. 


Tomorrow, it's all or nothing.


Win or go home. (I'm going home anyway after the race, but you get what I'm saying)


SHOOT FOR THE MOON, LAND IN THE STARS type of day.


And the story will be here, without pictures because well, it's hard enough to take a picture of oneself standing still, let alone at a race moving at the speed of AVERAGE. And, I don't think the other runners will appreciate it if I ask them to take my picture at various intervals throughout the morning.


STILL, the report will be HERE. And it should be a good one.